Park Policies and Camping Information
By entering Crawford County Forest Preserve
you agree to abide by the Park Policies as listed below:
• Park hours are 6:00 am – 8:30 pm March 1 thru October 15 and 6:00 am – 6:00 pm October 16 thru end of February. Campgrounds are open May 1 – October 15.
• Alcohol is not permitted on park property.
• Firearms and fireworks are not permitted on park property. This includes BB guns, air guns and spear guns.
• State law requires fishing licenses. (See Illinois Department of Natural Resources for updated requirements.) No trout lines, bush lines, or jug fishing are permitted. No Culling fish on a stringer. Fishing limits are based on 24 hour period. Local fish size and catch limits are enforced.
• Place all trash in receptacles.
• Vehicles must be parked in designated parking areas.
• Children must be supervised at all times.
• Solicitation of any kind is prohibited on park property.
• Pets are welcome; however, they must not be left unattended. They must be kept on a leash and not tied to a tree. Pick up and properly dispose of all fecal matter.
• Fires are permitted only in grills or designated areas. All fires must be extinguished prior to leaving the site.
• No trees, plants, wild animals or birds are to be disturbed. Mushroom, persimmons, walnuts, and wild berries may be collected. Digging for plants such as ginseng, yellow root or any other plant material is not allowed.
• Picnic tables may not be moved from the shelters or designated locations.
• NO boating or swimming or hunting are allowed.
• Playground equipment must be used as designed. Climbing on the outside of equipment or using the equipment for a purpose other than it was designed may result in a serious injury and ultimately in the removal of that piece of equipment. Young children should never be left at the playground unsupervised.
• NO motorized vehicles of any type are allowed on walk paths.
• The Crawford County Forest Preserve is not responsible for any items lost or stolen while visiting the park. Do not leave vehicles unlocked or personal items out in the open.
Camping Information and Expectations
2013 Primitive Camping Rates:
$10.00 per night
3 nights/ 4 days maximum per camping site
•Tent camping only.
• Check-out time is 2:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 5:00 p.m. on Sunday and holidays.
• All campsites are first-come first-served. No reservations will be taken. Campers cannot ‘hold’ campsites for anyone.
• All camping fees must be paid in advance to the Crawford County Forest Preserve Groundskeeper. ONLY cash will be accepted as payment.
• Place camping pass on the rearview mirror. Passes should be removed when traveling outside of the forest preserve for safety.
• The park gate closes at 9:00 p.m. After that hour, campers may not exit and reenter the park. Exceptions include emergencies.
• A maximum of 6 individuals are permitted on each campsite. At least one person must be at least 18 years of age. The party member the campsite is registered to must remain on the site for the entire stay.
• Each campsite is limited to 2 one-room tents.
• Vehicles are limited to 1 per campsite. Additional vehicles must be parked in the parking lot.
• Fires must be lit in designated areas and attended at all times. Do not burn trash. Collecting firewood or cutting down standing trees is not permitted in the forest preserve.
• Visitors are welcome from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Visitors must park in the designated parking area.
• Quiet hours are from 9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
• Place garbage in receptacles provided.
• No dumping of sewage.
• No generators are permitted on the campgrounds.
• Pets are welcome; however, they must never be left unattended. They must be kept on a 6′ or less leash and never tied to a tree. Campers are responsible for the pickup and disposal of their fecal matter. If your pet becomes a nuisance due to excessive barking, etc. you will be asked to remove your pet from the campgrounds.
• Use of park water to wash vehicles is prohibited.
• When the park staff is mowing, clear the ground of all cords and items in the grassy areas.
• No solicitation or sales are permitted on the park property.
• Geo caching is allowed above ground only. No digging permitted.